Agent sends £500 donation to Rhodes tourist boat captain who helped evacuate holidaymakers

• Thread starter Thread starter Lisa James
  • Start date Start date
Travel agent Laura Featonby is sending a £500 donation to help a tourist boat company on Rhodes which helped rescue holidaymakers fleeing the recent wildfires.

The owner of Laura’s Travel in Sale, Manchester, part of the Travel Village Group, wanted to help after finding out Captain Vangelis’ Glass Bottom Boat business in Pefkos, was struggling through lack of tourists in the south of the island since the fires.

Laura, who spent several years working as an overseas manager on Rhodes, said: “I’ve known Captain Vangelis for years and he is a real hero.

“He told me his glass bottom boat was one of 44 boats that went out to the beaches to rescue people fleeing the fires.

“But immediately afterwards, he had to lay his staff off until the flights return with tourists back to the south of the island.

“The other day he only had eight people on his boat cruise. Three of those were clients of mine who I asked to go and support him.

“These tour businesses have had to deal with the pandemic and now this – I just wanted to help him.

“I can only help one tourist business, but there are many more that have been struggling and I’d ask agents to encourage their customers to get out and about on Rhodes and support these businesses.”

Laura is donating £250 of her own money to Captain Vangelis, and Travel Village Group CEO Phil Nuttall has matched the donation.

One of Laura’s customers is taking the donation out to Captain Vangelis when they fly out later this week.

Captain Vangelis told Laura: “We will happily accept the donation and are very grateful to you.”

Last week, Designer Travel Head of Sales and Commercial Darren Bien shared a video praising the people of Rhodes after he and his family were among holidaymakers evacuated from Pefkos because of the wildfires.

The post Agent sends £500 donation to Rhodes tourist boat captain who helped evacuate holidaymakers appeared first on Travel Gossip.

Continue reading...

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom