‘Clients have forgotten all the help I gave them during COVID and are booking online – I feel used’

• Thread starter Thread starter Lisa James
  • Start date Start date
An agent says she feels used by clients who regularly booked with her during the pandemic but who’ve now reverted to booking their own holidays.

The agent, who doesn’t want to give her name, spoke to Travel Gossip after reporting sales during the first week of Peaks had been disappointing.

She said: “I’ve noticed customers who booked with me during COVID have gone back to DIY holidays. It’s noticeable because I’m in quite a small village.

“During COVID, people wanted help with testing and forms and started booking with me. A lot commented how easy I made it for them as they received an email checklist and I also helped complete the UK entry forms.

“Once things started to get back to normal, some immediately went back to booking their holidays themselves and some booked maybe one with me until they felt confident and then went back to DIY bookings. To be honest I feel used.”

The agent said she doesn’t think it’s a result of the cost-of-living crisis.

“I’m in pretty affluent area and I don’t get a lot of customers saying they’ve looked at OTAs and can I match?

“And in some cases they’re booking holidays that I have price parity for, so I don’t really understand. Now it’s easier to book again, I think they want to be back in control.

“I’m tempted to put a post on my page asking why those who used to book with me no longer do, just to see if any would have the balls to say they were just using me during COVID and no longer think they need me.”

Other agents say customers are shopping around, with one reporting ‘a lot more people are wanting price matches on options you send and do the work for’.

Another said: “People seem to want a ‘bargain’ and if they want to DIY it, then leave them to it. I can’t be bothered with the hassle anymore.”

w