Derek Jones takes non-exec role at Not Just Travel

• Thread starter Thread starter Harry Kemble
  • Start date Start date
Former Kuoni boss Derek Jones has joined Not Just Travel as a Non-Executive Director.

Derek says he is ‘glad’ that he can share his industry experience with co-founders Steve Witt and Paul Harrison.

He stepped down as CEO of Kuoni parent Der Touristik UK after more than 10 years in the post last August.

In addition to being a Non-Executive Director at NJT, Derek is also a Board Director at ABTA and a Non-Executive Board Member at direct-sell operator Adventure Base.

Speaking to Travel Gossip, he said: “There’s huge potential at Not Just Travel. Steve has talked about the numbers and how they’re growing fast but that brings challenges.

“The business needs to shape itself. They need a robust management team to take the business forward.”

Derek said his position was ‘advisory’ and he planned to review the current business functions and how it operated.

He added that he could ‘add value’ to the business as it hired key appointments in the coming months.

“There will be a number of senior appointments,” he added. “Steve and Paul are not afraid to bring in strong experience into the business.”

Derek said the arrangement agreed with NJT was ‘pretty ad hoc’ and he expected to work four days a week initially.

“It really depends on the cycle,” he added.

Derek did not rule out taking more non-executive roles in the future but admitted he was wary about ‘collecting them like stamps’.

“If the right opportunity is there, it’s an interesting role, I feel I can add value and there’s a good story then I will consider it,” he said.

“I’m not collecting them like stamps.”

Steve said Derek was one of the best-known figures in the UK travel industry.

He added: “How does a company with ambitions to be number one in its sector, which has more than doubled in size last year, keep its edge and stay in front? It brings the very best talent into the business.

“Paul and I do not come from a travel background, yet we’ve built one of the biggest businesses in our industry.

“For the next part of our journey, it’s key that we have people with the right experiences to help lead the business and continue this growth.”

Paul said NJT would continue to expand its leadership team ‘with a diverse range of people and skills to help shape the business for the future’.

The post Derek Jones takes non-exec role at Not Just Travel appeared first on Travel Gossip.

Continue reading...

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom