Emirates warns it ‘can’t guarantee nut-free environment’ after Love Island star says he nearly died on flight

• Thread starter Thread starter Lisa James
  • Start date Start date
Former Love Island star Jack Fowler says he nearly died on an Emirates flight after he was served a curry containing cashews, even though he had told cabin crew he has a nut allergy.

The 28-year-old shared a video on Instagram of himself using his EpiPen mid-flight after taking a mouthful of chicken curry and said he needed five tanks of oxygen to help him breathe.

He said he feared he would die on the plane and was rushed to hospital after landing in Dubai.

Jack, who appeared in series four of Love Island UK, said he was not given a menu but was asked whether he wanted chicken or fish for his economy-class meal. He says he checked whether either dish contained nuts, and was told neither did, so he ordered the chicken.

Immediately after he took his first mouthful, Jack said he could feel his throat closing up and he couldn’t breathe. He says he asked again if there were nuts in his food and was again told no.

His friend then asked to see the menu, which clearly stated Jack had been served ‘creamy chicken curry with cashew nuts’.

Jack posted on Instagram to say: “I’m posting because people should be aware of the severity of how bad food allergies can be and the complete negligence from @emirates airline.

“This left me with the real possibility of dying on the plane as I knew I needed emergency treatment immediately.

“I was given five tanks of oxygen, as well as administering my EpiPen.

“I told the flight supervisor ‘If you don’t land this plane soon, I will die on this plane’.”

An Emirates spokesperson said: “We are sorry to hear of Mr Fowler’s experience and our teams on ground are providing him with all possible assistance. The safety and health of our customers is taken very seriously.

“While Emirates aims to cater to customers with specific needs by offering a variety of special meals that cover medical, dietary, and religious requirements, we cannot guarantee a nut-free inflight environment. We urge travellers with dietary or other medical requirements to check our website and consult their doctor before travel.”

The post Emirates warns it ‘can’t guarantee nut-free environment’ after Love Island star says he nearly died on flight appeared first on Travel Gossip.

Continue reading...

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom