Explora I hit by shipyard delay

• Thread starter Thread starter Harry Kemble
  • Start date Start date
Explora Journeys has said it will confirm in the next few days whether the maiden voyage of its first ship will go ahead as planned, following a delay in the ship’s delivery.

The cruise operator, which is part of MSC Group, has postponed the delivery ceremony of Explora I to ‘make further enhancements’ at Fincantieri shipyard in Monfalcone, Italy, where it is being built.

The ceremony, for media and partners, had been scheduled for Thursday (6 July). The ship’s naming ceremony, scheduled for 8 July in Rome, has also been called of.

The cruise line said it will shortly announce whether the ship’s maiden voyage, due to depart on 17 July, will go ahead, although a statement from the operator said the shipyard delay could last ‘a few weeks’.

However, the first available cruise on the company’s website is now listed as a seven-night itinerary from Copenhagen to Reykjavik on 1 August.

An Explora Journeys spokesperson said: “Fincantieri and MSC Group have agreed to make further enhancements to the final work of Explora I, the first cruise ship for the new luxury brand Explora Journeys.

“Unfortunately, the time required for the work will extend the vessel’s stay at the shipyard by a few weeks.”

The spokesperson added: “We are extremely sorry for this circumstance, and we apologise for any inconvenience caused.

“The new date for the delivery ceremony will be communicated as soon as possible.”

Explora I’s maiden cruise is due to depart Southampton on 17 July, calling into Norwegian ports including Trondheim, Molde, Flam, Bergen and Stavanger before finishing the cruise in Copenhagen.

The luxury line said it would provide an update about whether the maiden cruise would go ahead ‘in a few days’ once the new delivery date for the ship is confirmed.

A month ago, it was announced that parent company MSC Group will bring Explora Journeys under the same umbrella as MSC Cruises.

The post Explora I hit by shipyard delay appeared first on Travel Gossip.

Continue reading...

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom