Hotel chain denies cancelling bookings to re-sell rooms at inflated prices during Oasis gigs

• Thread starter Thread starter Lisa James
  • Start date Start date
A hotel chain has denied it has cancelled bookings so it can re-sell rooms at vastly higher prices on dates that coincide with next year’s newly announced Oasis gigs.

Several people complained that Maldron Hotels in Manchester city centre cancelled bookings made for July 2025, hours after the band announced dates for its long-awaited reunion. The same thing also happened at sister hotel Maldron Hotel Cathedral Quarter.

Greater Manchester Night Time Economy Adviser Sasha Lord posted on X on Tuesday, the day Oasis announced the gig dates: “Hey @MaldronHotels I’m being contacted by several people who booked your hotel for the Oasis concert, to say their rooms have just been cancelled and are now back up for three times the price. I’m sure this is a “computer error”… easy to correct. Do the right thing.”

One of them, @SolRoper, said: “Yep I’m one of them and now price has more than trebled.”

Sol then shared a screenshot of an email the hotel had sent, which said: “Due to a technical error, you have received a confirmation for a booking that was not successfully made. Unfortunately we are unable to accommodate your booking at this time.”

It then asked guests to ‘promptly accept’ a cancellation request.

Another, @nat_sabo said: “Yep. Booked for £250. Had cancellation message. Now £450. Ermmm nope, I won’t accept the cancellation thanks.”

Mark Slinger, who booked a room for £90 via Booking.com for 20 July 2025 on the morning Oasis announced the gig dates, told Sky News he’s refusing to cancel the booking and doesn’t believe there has been a ‘technical error’.

Maldron Hotels told Travel Gossip: “Due to a technical error with our booking system on 26th & 27th August 2024, substantially more rooms were booked than were available for the nights of the Oasis concerts on 11th/12th/19th/20th July 2025 at Maldron Hotel Manchester City and Maldron Hotel Cathedral Quarter.

“As a result, we are unable to honour all bookings made on these dates, and we are actively engaging with customers regarding their bookings.

“The hotels are currently not taking any bookings while we investigate the issue. This is not an attempt to resell rooms at inflated prices, rather an overbooking issue due to a technical error with our booking systems.

“Additionally, due to the same technical error, a small number of customers were able to book the rooms at a higher price later that evening. We will also be unable to accommodate these bookings.

“We will be honouring all bookings made prior to 26th August. We sincerely apologise for any inconvenience caused.”

Image credit: Oasis on X

The post Hotel chain denies cancelling bookings to re-sell rooms at inflated prices during Oasis gigs appeared first on Travel Gossip.

Continue reading...

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom