If your cruise clients ask about upside-down pineapples, here’s what they mean

• Thread starter Thread starter Harry Kemble
  • Start date Start date
Have any of your clients returned from a cruise and asked the meaning of upside-down pineapples on cabin doors?

Or maybe you’ve seen them yourselves?

No? Me neither (and I’ve been on over 20 cruises), but I am reliably informed that they are a thing.

And not just on cabin doors, either. Apparently, cruisers can sometimes be seen wearing upside-down pineapple badges or motifs on baseball caps.

Sometimes they have them displayed on their key cards, or they can be seen at the bar sipping from straws topped with up an upended pineapple, or some might discreetly wear a pineapple-themed necklace or anklet.

So, what does this mean?

Let me enlighten you.

The upside-down pineapple is used by swingers to identify each other and signal their interest in partner swapping on a cruise. Apparently.

Cruise blogger Emma Le Teace recently interviewed a cruise swinger, who told her that when a pineapple sticker is displayed on a cabin door, this is usually an invitation for fellow swingers to give them a knock, so to speak.

Last year, marketing data firm Statista published data that showed 2.5% of over 40s in the UK in 2017 were swingers, so at some point it’s possible you might get asked by customers about swinging on cruises.

However, you should warn them that an upside-down pineapple on a cabin door isn’t always an invitation to swingers. Mischievous passengers sometimes put them on other people’s doors, just for the lols.

If your clients are looking to swing, they might prefer a dedicated swingers cruise.

US-based companies – including Bliss Cruise and Couples Cruise– charter ships and offer sailings for swingers which Brits can book.

But if your partner-swapping customers prefer the thrill of the chase, rather than booking a swingers’ cruise, you now know why they’re hunting for upside-down pineapples.

View more articles

The post If your cruise clients ask about upside-down pineapples, here’s what they mean appeared first on Travel Gossip.

Continue reading...

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom