Passenger celebrates 2,500 nights and 30 years of cruising with Fred. Olsen, including 15 RTW trips

• Thread starter Thread starter Lisa James
  • Start date Start date
Fred. Olsen Cruise Lines fan Kevin Harrison has celebrated his 2,500th night on board one of the company’s ships.

The former owner of a chain of chip shops from Wakefield, West Yorkshire, took his first cruise with Fred. Olsen in 1993 and has not sailed with any other line since.

He’s completed more than 100 cruises, including 15 around the world and always books the Owner’s Suite.

To mark his 2,500th night on board, during a trip to Madeira on Borealis as part of the Fleet in Funchal itinerary, Kevin was treated to a surprise party attended by dozens of Fred. Olsen team members who he describes as ‘my very good friends’.

They include Captain Rommel Pineda, who started his career as a deck boy on board Black Prince in 1996, during Kevin’s seventh cruise. Kevin and partner Yvonne celebrated the milestone with dinner at the Captain’s table.

Kevin said: “I have grown very fond of Captain Rommel, having watched him every step of his journey through the Fred. Olsen ranks. To get to spend my 2,500th day with him and with the many crew I know so well was so special – it brought a tear to my eye.

“I was bitten by the travel bug 30 years ago after booking a Fred. Olsen cruise for my 45th birthday on Black Prince and I have never looked back and never even considered booking a holiday with anyone else.

“For me it has become a home from home, and I like to book the same cabin and to see the same familiar faces with whom I now have great friendships with.”

The widowed grandfather of four regularly books back-to-back cruises, and joined a 29-night Classic Caribbean Islands cruise straight after completing the 14-night Fleet in Funchal cruise. He’s due to celebrate his 75th birthday out in the Caribbean.

After that, he will have a six-day break before joining the fortnight-long Christmas Celebrations in the Canaries cruise for Christmas and New Year.

He said: “I recognise I am very lucky to have been able to explore the world this way. I’ve ticked off all the countries I can think of that have access via water and seen some incredible things.

“One of my most memorable cruises was taking the first world cruise that Black Watch ever took in 2004. After that I was hooked and went on every single world cruise that ship sailed on.

“Other incredible cruises have included one in 2009 to Alaska where we were breaking ice going in. I do enjoy going on excursions and exploring new territories, but I also equally enjoy days at sea with the on board shows, fantastic food and formal nights where we get to dress up.

“I aim to have seven or eight cruises booked at any one time and I try to plan so I have plenty to look forward to. I’d say I am sailing at least six months of the year.”

Captain Rommel said: “Kevin is an absolute advocate for Fred. Olsen Cruise Lines and a loyal returning guest. He truly embraces all we stand for and is one of our most vocal champions.

“We hope to continue to have him sailing with us for more decades to come.”

As well as dining at the Captain’s table, Kevin was treated to a celebratory cake, an ice carving marking 2,500 days at sea and a video message, cards and gifts from the Borealis crew.

The post Passenger celebrates 2,500 nights and 30 years of cruising with Fred. Olsen, including 15 RTW trips appeared first on Travel Gossip.

Continue reading...

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom