Philip Meeson, Chairman and founder of one of UK’s biggest holiday businesses, to retire

• Thread starter Thread starter Harry Kemble
  • Start date Start date
Jet2 Chairman Philip Meeson, who transformed Jet2 from a cargo business he bought 40 years ago into the holiday giant it is today, has announced he is retiring.

Philip, pictured above when he bought Jet2 in 1983, will move to Non-Executive Chair this year and remain in that role until a successor is appointed.

He said he was ‘extremely proud’ of the business he and his colleagues had built over the past 40 years.

Jet2 confirmed today that it made a £391m pre-tax profit in the last financial year to 31 March 2023, up 48% on 2020.

In an announcement to the London Stock Exchange today, Philip, 75, added: “I am conscious of my age and the need to plan an orderly succession. I remain committed to Jet2 and will support my successor and the management in any way I can.”

In recent years, Philip has devolved most of his executive responsibilities to the company’s senior management team, said Jet2.

Late last year, Philip sold millions of his Jet2 shares, but he still owns just over 18% of the business.

Philip bought the business when it was distribution company serving the Channel Islands. In November 1988, the company was listed and has since become one of the UK’s leading leisure travel businesses.

In April, Jet2 appointed two new independent Non-Executive Directors, Simon Breakwell and Angela Lugar.

Simon was the person responsible for launching Uber in Europe, while Angela was a Non-Executive Director of Manchester Airports Group for nine years.

They have both since joined the company’s audit and remuneration committees.

The post Philip Meeson, Chairman and founder of one of UK’s biggest holiday businesses, to retire appeared first on Travel Gossip.

Continue reading...

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom