Scenic founder to meet with UK team following MD’s sudden exit

• Thread starter Thread starter Harry Kemble
  • Start date Start date
Scenic Group’s founder plans to discuss the company’s UK management structure in a meeting following UK & Ireland Managing Director Richard Twynam’s sudden departure.

Glen Moroney, who lives in Switzerland, said Richard’s resignation last month did not come as a surprise but added he was ‘a good guy’ and there were no hard feelings.

Scenic last week confirmed Richard had resigned from his position at the cruise and luxury tours operator on 26 April ‘with immediate effect’.

Speaking after a screening of the documentary Maritime Masters, which features Scenic Eclipse, on Wednesday (3 May), Glen said: “One of the reasons I am here is to talk to the management team about who is doing what and what is required. I am not saying that [Richard’s resignation] was a surprise.

“There are plenty of people that have worked for me over the last 36 years that have left the business. It just did not work out. He is good guy.

“Our culture is great. We’re pretty unique. People have got to fit in with that.”

He added that he was looking to be ‘in touch’ with the Manchester-based UK team more going forward.

In a LinkedIn post last week, Richard said he would miss the team ‘a lot’ and hailed the ‘great people’ at Scenic Group, which operates Scenic and Emerald Cruises.

“For those not aware I chose to leave my previous role and am enjoying a little time in the garden,” he added.

“I will of course miss the team a lot, great people that were very kind and welcoming to me and invested in my approach.”

Last month, Scenic Eclipse II sailed its maiden voyage from Lisbon, Portugal. Glen (pictured) said the ship had been delivered on time and ‘3% under budget’, which he described as a ‘huge accomplishment’.

Asked how the UK and Europe were performing against other markets, Glen said: “Continental Europe is growing strongly for us. The UK market is starting to get better. It has not been great.

“If you look at all cruise lines every single one is not doing as well as they thought that they would this year. We’re not back to 2019. We’re not expecting to be fully back until 2025.

“It’s a lot better than it was. The second half of this year will be better, but it will not be better than it was [in 2019].”

The post Scenic founder to meet with UK team following MD’s sudden exit appeared first on Travel Gossip.

Continue reading...

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom