Street cleaner who ‘won’ On the Beach holiday jets off to Portugal

• Thread starter Thread starter Lisa James
  • Start date Start date
A London street cleaner who ‘won’ a holiday in a competition organised by On the Beach has flown to Portugal for a one-week getaway.

Paul Spiers, 63, made headlines last week after locals in Beckenham raised £3,000 to send him off on holiday as a thank you for his hard work and community spirit.

However, Paul was banned from accepting the cash because employer Veolia said doing so would contravene its contract agreement with Bromley Council.

Online travel agent On the Beach stepped in to ensure Paul did get a holiday by organising a competition that only he could win, with the rules dictating the winner had to be aged between 62-64, have the surname Spiers, be a street cleaner in Beckenham and ‘be loved by the local community’.

Paul won the competition and jetted off to Faro from Gatwick Airport this weekend for a one-week stay at the Monica Isabel Beach Club. Albufeira, on an all-inclusive break with his brother, David.

It’s his second holiday abroad. The first was three years ago to celebrate his 60th birthday and Paul stayed at the same hotel.

As with all On the Beach customers this summer, Paul and David got complimentary lounge access at the airport before boarding the flight.

Paul said: “It’s been an incredible week and I am so thankful for the support of the local community, my friends, family and On the Beach.

“Me and my brother David are sat in the sunshine, relaxing and enjoying our holiday already.”

On the Beach Chief Customer Officer Zoe Harris said: “We’re so happy knowing that millions of people will have a smile on their face looking at pictures of Paul living his best life on a Portuguese beach.”

Lisa Knight, who set up the GoFundMe campaign said: “I’m overjoyed that Paul is finally on a beach enjoying his dream holiday. When I started the fundraising this is all I wanted to happen.”

Picture credits: On the Beach/Paul Spiers

The post Street cleaner who ‘won’ On the Beach holiday jets off to Portugal appeared first on Travel Gossip.

Continue reading...

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom