Town bids final farewell to much-loved agent with Bollywood-style flash mob

• Thread starter Thread starter Kelly Ranson
  • Start date Start date
More than 300 people attended the funeral of popular travel agent Ron Morgan, who also raised thousands of pounds for charity.

Ron, who ran Shrewsbury-based Ron Morgan Travel, passed away last month aged 69 after a battle with bowel cancer.

His widow Dianne, 72, said his funeral held last Friday (5 April) was a celebration of his life, and that Ron had one request for a flash mob to take place.

She said: “Ron was an amazing man and before he passed away he said he wanted a flash mob due to his love of dancing. I didn’t tell anyone except the vicar, and as the service finished 12 Bollywood-style dancers got up and performed, it was an incredible end to the celebration.”

Ron was also a huge Shrewsbury Town fan and one of the team’s strikers Daniel Udoh dedicated his winning goal to Ron after a recent match, which Dianne said was ‘so special’.

Ron began his career in travel working for local Shrewsbury agency Luxitours before embarking on an extended trip around America and Canada. On his return in 1989 he set up Ron Morgan Travel, which he ran until the mid-2000s.

He also published five books including his travel memoirs, Morgan the Travel, two novels and two children’s books.

It was through the agency he met Dianne, a former nurse.

She explained: “My parents were going on a trip to Florida that Ron had organised and at the time I was nursing but also selling perfume in America. They said Ron may have had some contacts so I got in touch with him.

“I didn’t hear from him for months and then out of the blue he contacted me and asked if I was available to host a trip to the US for him at the last minute. I did, and then I ended up doing more and more in the future and the rest is history.”

On one trip, the duo took a group of farmers around the world, which included a stay in New Zealand and it was there they decided they would return the following year in 1997 to marry in the Church of the Good Shepherd, Lake Tekapo.

The pair were also tireless fundraisers – for 28 years they organised trips for thousands of sick children through their charity, The Dreamcatcher Charitable Fund.

In later years the couple went on to plan adventures and holidays for friends including climbing Kilimanjaro and Machu Picchu.

“Ron absolutely loved to travel and was meticulous with planning for clients. From the work trips to the lovely holidays, we created some amazing memories,” explained Dianne.

Ron leaves widow Dianne, two sons Peter and Tom, and grandson Benji.

The post Town bids final farewell to much-loved agent with Bollywood-style flash mob appeared first on Travel Gossip.

Continue reading...

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom