Travel Gossip members help make little girl’s seventh birthday extra special

• Thread starter Thread starter Lisa James
  • Start date Start date
Dozens of Travel Gossip Facebook group members helped Harlei Almond celebrate her seventh birthday after they answered an appeal from her mum.

Harlei is the daughter of Kirsty Almond, who works at Blackpool-based Travel Village, and Kirsty put a post on the Facebook group to ask if members had any spare lanyards knocking around that they could send.

Harlei has autism, along with several other medical conditions, and has become fascinated with lanyards, her mum explained.

Kirsty’s post said: “My six-year-old daughter has autism and has acquired an obsession with lanyards (anyone with a child who has autism will understand these obsessions). If any suppliers or anyone has any cluttering up a drawer and no longer wants them, I know a little girl who would be over the moon with them.”

Kirsty was inundated with responses and, last Thursday, Harlei celebrated her seventh birthday with 61 new lanyards that had been sent in the post. Since then, more have arrived, with the lanyard count now over 70.

Kirsty said: “Harlei has a number of medical conditions, one of which is autism. Some children with autism have a fascination with something, Harlei’s is lanyards.

“She had a small collection from when I went on conference last year and she plays with them every day. I know the travel industry is full of lanyards from events, conferences etc so thought that would be the best place to ask.

“I wasn’t expecting this amazing response. When we opened the packages on her birthday, her eyes lit up and smiled. She’s non-verbal, so couldn’t tell me how she felt but from her face I knew she was happy. It was a lovely way to end her birthday.

“I’m massively overwhelmed by people’s generosity. Harlei has a number of things going on, so if something like a lanyard makes her happy, I will try my hardest to get her as many as I can.”

Kirsty recently switched from working as a Sales Consultant for Travel Village to the finance team, after finding it difficult to juggle her sales role with looking after Harlei.

She said: “The Travel Village has been so understanding. Harlei goes to a SEN [special educational needs] school, which she loves and the new job means I can work around her school hours.”

The post Travel Gossip members help make little girl’s seventh birthday extra special appeared first on Travel Gossip.

Continue reading...

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom