Galapagos Islands to increase entry fee for first time in 25 years

• Thread starter Thread starter Lisa James
  • Start date Start date
The fee to visit the Galapagos Islands will double from 1 August, to $200 per adult and $100 for under-12s.

It is the first time in 25 years there has been a fee increase and the Galapagos National Park Authority will use the extra money to fund conservation, upgrade facilities and add more educational programmes.

The Government of Ecuador has pledged to be transparent about where the money will go and to provide regular updates on the projects and initiatives funded through entry fees.

Fees must be paid in cash on arrival and the adult price applies to all foreign visitors over the age of 12.

The increase has been welcomed by the Latin American Travel Association (LATA) and its members.

LATA Head of Sustainability Megan Parkinson said: “Tourism revenue is essential to safeguarding the future of the unique and delicate ecosystem of the Galapagos Islands. I am encouraged to see this increase, demonstrating Ecuador’s commitment to sustainable, positive impact tourism. I am certain the increased funding for conservation and community projects will be hugely beneficial and will be felt by both residents and visitors to the islands.”

Explore Worldwide Product Manager for the Americas Carmel Hendry said: “I’m positive about the increase. Annual tourist numbers represent more than five times the actual population of the islands, and while we contribute enormously to the economy of the Galapagos, we’re using community and governmental resources and infrastructure (from recycling and waste disposal to clinics and pharmacies) that could benefit from improvements.

“The improvements and additional funds for conservation will help protect and preserve the islands for the tourism of the future – I see it as paying it forward.”

Journey Latin America Head of Product Stuart Whittington said: “This is the first time in 26 years that there has been an increase to the fee – which aims to support this precious ecosystem – and a review of the cost was very much needed.

“The doubling of the entrance fees will provide a significant increase in funds to assist with the protection of the Galapagos Islands and demonstrates a positive step in Ecuador’s commitment to sustainable travel.”

The post Galapagos Islands to increase entry fee for first time in 25 years appeared first on Travel Gossip.

Continue reading...

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom