Tales from the Secret Agent: The one about pulling teeth

• Thread starter Thread starter Lisa James
  • Start date Start date
I sometimes think I should have gone into dentistry, as getting information out of some clients is like pulling teeth.

“When do you want to go?

“Anytime.”

B&B, half board or all inclusive?”

Don’t mind.

And, of course, every travel agent’s favourite: “What’s the budget?”

I have a visit from exactly this type of client today.

“It’s our 30th wedding anniversary and the Mrs always wanted to do a safari,” I’m informed. “And then a week on the beach,” he throws in.

“When are you thinking of going?” I say, thinking he’ll have at least a rough idea – it’s for a special occasion after all.

But no, Mr Flexibility can go anytime in 2024.

“Is it bed and breakfast you were thinking about?” I ask.

“We would prefer the all-inclusive as we like a drink with the entertainment,” comes the reply.

It’s obvious he’s done zero research but I’ve a few minutes free and I’m keen to see where this goes.

“And what’s your budget for this trip of a lifetime?” I ask him.

“Hmmm…” he goes, rubbing his chin.

“We haven’t really got a budget” he says, which translates as: “I’m skint, I saw you had no one in and thought I’d waste your time, the bus isn’t due for another 20 minutes and it’s warm in here.”

“Well, how about 1 January for the departure and we can look around the four grand per person budget as a starting point,” I say.

Watching the colour drain out of his face is the highlight of my day as he makes his excuses and leaves…

Next, a lady waltzes in and asks about the cruise deal on the board outside.

As the board holds 20 fabulous cruise offers, I ask her which one she’s interested in.

“The £429 one,” she replies. “What date is it leaving?” I ask her hopefully.

“Oh, I’m not sure,” she says.

Knowing I’m going to have to lumber my exhausted carcass outside to look for it, I heave myself up out of my chair and wearily follow her to the board.

It’s a P&O and it clearly says it’s a five-night France and Netherlands departing 19 September.

“This one?” I say, pointing at it.

“Yes,” she replies. “What countries does it go to?”

“France and the Netherlands,” I reply.

“And what date is it departing?” she asks.

“19th September,” I tell her, pointing to the card.

“Hmmm… do you have anything similar going end of August to the Canaries?”

Give me strength!

More Secret Agent tales can be found here.

The post Tales from the Secret Agent: The one about pulling teeth appeared first on Travel Gossip.

Continue reading...

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom